“Round & Round the Garden, Like a Teddy Bear…One Step…Two Steps…Tickle You Under There!”
3 Item Basket (6 months +)
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 3 baby-safe garden themed objects (we used a DUPLO flower head, a flower mirror & a plastic Watering Can .
Place the 3 items into the basket.
HOW TO PLAY:
Let baby explore the 3 items with their hands, feet & mouth. Older babies love putting items in and out of containers, so encourage them to do this. You could even count with them.
Baby Gardener Exercise
WHAT YOU NEED:
Play or sing garden themed rhymes or music
Think of the movements you would make when gardening and gently replicate some of these on baby! This can be done lying down or, for older babies starting to walk, they may be able to do this sitting/standing up with support. For example, try some of the following & gently repeat the movements a few times, as long as baby seems happy to do this:
- Using hedge clippers – movement similar to clapping
- Raking the leaves – gently move arms towards either side of baby’s body & back again
- Weeding – gently move right hand towards left leg, then left hand towards right leg. Using cross-lateral movements like these helps early co-ordination development
- Checking the plants – gently bend knees & stretch out again & repeat a few times
What are the key things you are helping your little one to do?
- Develop strong relationships with a special person
- Move their head or body when seeing things of interest
- Reach out and touch things that are nearby
- Grip and hold things in their hands
- Notice when there is 1 thing or lots of things (up to 3 things) in a basket
- Explore lots of different things to find out what they can do with them
PIN THESE GARDEN THEMED ACTIVITIES TO COMPLETE LATER & SHARE ON FACEBOOK OR TWITTER 🙂