How Does Your Garden Grow?
Some of Sophie’s Recommended Gardening Books for Preschoolers
Young children love books with bright illustrations, a fun story or simple facts, particularly so if they have interactive pages.
Below are just some books you can use to help your little one to understand the world of sowing, planting, growing & caring for plants AND getting an early idea of where some of their food actually comes from!
Some of Sophie’s favourite gardening books are:
- The Tiny Seed – Eric Carle
- Avocado Baby – John Burningham
- Oliver’s Vegetables – Vivian French
- A Seed In Need: A first look at the plant cycle: First Look at the Life Cycle of a Flower – Sam Godwin
- Eddie’s Garden – Sarah Garland
- Jasper’s Beanstalk – Nick Butterworth
- Seed to Sunflower – Camilla de la Bedoyere
- Ten Seeds – Ruth Brown
- Jim and the Beanstalk – Raymond Briggs
- The Enormous Turnip – Irene Yates
(Some books are aimed at slightly older children, but pictures & adult support will give a great idea of a plant’s needs &/or life cycle or are just great fun).
Websites & Apps
Kidloland app – Mary, Mary Quite Contrary interactive nursery rhyme
RHS (Royal Horticultural Society) – school & children’s gardening pages