Baa Baa Black Sheep Activities: Hand Print Sheep
Make these super hand print sheep with your toddler. This activity is great for developing fine motor skills & imaginary play.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Washable Ready Mixed Paint(child friendly & washable);
- White card / paper
- Baa Baa Black Sheep Template
- Short length of ribbon / string
1) Cut out the Baa Baa Black Sheep Template.
2) Pour some of the black paint into a shallow tray or similar with a flat base.
3) Either paint your toddler’s palm & fingers or put their whole hand into the paint palm down with fingers spread.
4) Put their hand onto the white card & press it down gently so you can get the best print.
5) Wash those hands while waiting for the print to dry!
6) Cut out the hand-print (minus the thumb!).
7) Glue the sheep template to the top of the hand print using the fingers to make the 4 black legs!
**You could also make some adult hand prints & sibling hand prints so you get a variety of sizes
HOW TO PLAY:
- Use the hand print sheep to re-tell the Baa Baa Black Sheep as you sing (use our Rhyme Sheet to help you!)
- Use as decorations: farm, Easter or Spring themed displays or partys
- Glue onto a background designed by your little one, e.g. a farm / field landscape
MAKE IT EASIER:
Is your child too young for these activities? Try these ideas:
- Turn the hand print sheep into a mobile e.g. hanging the sheep from a wire or similar
- Make a simple stick puppet: attach your sheep to a straw / lollipop stick – move the stick puppet around in front of baby to support their eye tracking development, concentration & interaction
MAKE IT HARDER:
Is your child ready to extend their fine motor, creative &/or language skills? Try these ideas:
- Talk about different farm animals & farm related songs / rhymes e.g. ‘This Little Piggy’, ‘Old Macdonald’ see if you can make more hand print creatures such as cows, pigs or goats
- Puppet show: ask your child to make up a story about the sheep & use the puppets to tell their story. They could also use the puppet(s) to retell a favourite sheep themed story book
- Challenge your child to cut out the sheep template themselves (with child safe scissors) & then glue onto the hand print
What are you helping your little one to do?
- Develop language & communication skills
- Follow simple instructions
- Experiment with different art materials, cutting, gluing & sticking
- Explore mark making with hands
- Listen to & join in with favourite songs & rhymes
For more Baa Baa Black Sheep themed activities, click HERE
How many hand prints will your family make?
PIN THIS HAND PRINT SHEEP ACTIVITY: