Incy Wincy Spider Activities: Play Doh Spider
Make this cute play doh spider with your toddler. This fun activity develops fine motor skills & supports counting.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Play Doh (shop bought or make your own – method below)
- 4 pipe cleaners cut in half (fold over the ends of each piece & squeeze together to ensure no sharp bits);
If making your own play doh, you need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of flour
- ¼ cup of salt
- ½ cup of boiling water (try and pour straight from the kettle)
- 1 tbsp of oil
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 3 to 5 drops of food colouring – you choose the colour!
1) If making your own play doh – mix together the flour, salt, boiling water, oil & lemon juice in a bowl. Knead the mixture with your hands until the flour is completely absorbed (careful it will be very hot at first!). If the doh is too sticky, add more flour. Add the food colouring. Let it cool.
2) Roll the shop bought or home-made doh into a ball with your toddler to make the body. Add some play doh eyes & mouth.
3) Get one “leg” (pipe cleaner) at a time and push them in. You could count each leg as you go to reinforce the numbers 1 to 8.
HOW TO PLAY:
- Sing the nursery rhyme & use the play doh spider as a prop
- Use in small world play
- Learn to count to 8 by counting the legs
- Use as a decoration: Halloween, bug themed party, mini beasts display etc.
MAKE IT EASIER:
Is your child too young to make this play doh spider? Make it yourself & try these ideas:
- As you sing the Incy Wincy nursery rhyme, move the play doh spider around to match the rhyme actions. Encourage baby to watch to develop eye tracking & concentration
- Make a spider just out of edible play doh (no pipe cleaners). Allow baby to touch, squash & make marks in the edible play doh.
MAKE IT HARDER:
Is your child ready to stretch their motor skills, imagination & language further? Try these ideas:
- Make multiple play doh spiders & create a small world scene
- Make a spider & its web using our play doh mats
What are you helping your little one to do?
- Experiment with different art materials
- Follow simple instructions
- Count to 8
- Develop language skills through imaginary role-play
What colour play doh spiders will your kids make?
For more Incy Wincy Spider themed activities, click HERE
PIN THIS PLAY DOH SPIDER: