Baa Baa Black Sheep Activities: Farm Role Play
This simple small world farm role play activity is great for developing imagination, language & creativity
Small World Background
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Our printable Farm Small World Play Background
- Toy farm animals
- A selection of relevant materials e.g. hay, grass, mud
1) Print the background (or draw your own)
2) Glue background to some stiff cardboard (or laminate it).
3) Lay out the background
4) At the side make a random pile of toy sheep, animal feed (we used grains), long grasses, straw, mud etc. We also added some toy people that could represent farm workers or characters from the Baa Baa Black Sheep rhyme.
HOW TO PLAY:
Let your little one play as they wish. You can prompt them to add the sheep, straw etc. to the scene & suggest ideas / ask questions e.g. Who is looking after the sheep? What are the sheep going to eat?
If you can, take this resource with you to a field / farm that you visit. Show your toddler the Farm Small World Play Background & point out some of the features (the sheep, farm buildings, hedges, grass etc.). When you get home put it straight into their activity area.
MAKE IT EASIER:
Is your child too young to use this farm activity? Try these ideas:
- Although your child will not be able to handle the objects, show them the small world background on a flat surface. Then put objects in contrasting colours against the background e.g. dark & light toy animals, different materials / textures for them to look at & feel.
MAKE IT HARDER:
As this is independent, imaginative play the level of difficulty is set by your child. However you can challenge their thinking further by:
- Introducing other characters & scenarios or you could talk about what the farm animals can give us & link it to well know rhymes / songs e.g. ‘Baa Baa Black Sheep’ & wool, ‘Chick Chick Chick Chick Chicken’ & eggs
- Ask open ended questions where your child has to think through the situation to find the answer, for example ‘How are you going to keep the animals warm & dry? – this could lead onto activities like building shelters etc. How are you going to make sure your animals are happy? – this could get them to think about basic needs i.e. water, food, warmth etc. & even how the weather can make an impact.
What are you helping your little one to do?
- Develop imagination, language & creativity
- Develop problem solving skills
- Begin to play independently
- Understand cause & effect
What other characters or scenarios would you introduce to your little one in this small world farm role play scene?
For more Baa Baa Black Sheep themed activities, click HERE
PIN THIS SMALL WORLD FARM ROLE PLAY ACTIVITY: