90 Days of Summer: Celebrate Outdoor Play for Children with Germolene
We’re over halfway through the Summer holidays now – not long to go everyone!! I must admit I am yet to experience the Summer holidays chaos. My two are not yet at school (hence I get the chaos all day every day…)! However I can imagine keeping older children entertained is a whole different ball game, especially when most of the activities put on over the Summer cost money. Many parents dread the summer holidays due to the spiralling cost of days out & pressure to keep children entertained. In fact, according to surveys commissioned by Germolene, 47% of parents claim their biggest concern is the cost of a family day out. Incredibly, the average parent spends £650 just on family trips during the six weeks off!
Therefore, for the past year, Germolene has been on a mission to encourage families to play outside more & embrace the adventure & education that it has to offer.
In light of this, they have created a free guide, called ‘Germolene 90 Days of Summer’. The guide features content sourced from real parents & is written in collaboration with British adventurer & consultant to Bear Grylls, Megan Hine & psychologist Emma Kenny. It is packed with 90 creative ideas to help families enjoy the outdoors without spending a fortune & comes after research by the Office for National Statistics which revealed that children are only spending 16 minutes a day enjoying the benefits of outdoor play.
The different sections in the guide include:
- Garden / Park / Beach play – loads of ideas for things you can do at home or in your local area
- Quick play – perfect activities for if you only have half an hour
- Holiday play – family holiday fun!
- Grandparent play – lots of memory building activities for children to enjoy with their grandparents
- Take All Day play – days out, including some free ideas
- Solo play – develop independence & initiative
- Rainy Day play – get outside whatever the weather!
To start us off on our 90 Days of Summer, Germolene kindly sent us an outdoor activity kit including a summer cool bag, a skittle set, bucket & spade, chalk, paints, coloured paper, frisbee, adventure notebook & bubbles!
Sophie was delighted with this bag of goodies! It just proves that fun is still had without lots of expensive things! These few essentials will keep her occupied in our local park & garden for many Summer afternoons.
In fact, a lot of the time you don’t need anything at all! Enjoyment is had with things we find in nature. One of Sophie’s favourite outdoor activities is jumping in muddy puddles! It’s free & also requires no preparation (apart from putting the wellies on!).
Jumping in puddles is just one of many activities found in Germolene’s 90 Days of Summer guide. Some of our other favourites include:
- Using chalk in the garden to create pictures on the floor, walls & fences
- Growing plants & vegetables from seed
- Scavenger hunts – we did a colour hunt, searching for different colours in nature
- Searching for ‘treasure’ on the beach – shells, rocks, crabs – anything goes!
- Twitching – using binoculars to spot birds & wildlife
A normal part of playing outdoors is the odd bump and scrape, but Germolene antiseptic cream is there to ease the pain & help prevent infection for when fun resumes again. It also helps with stings, insect bites, burns and blisters.
Fancy getting your hands on a Summer cool bag? Filled with outdoor activities & toys? Thanks to Germolene I have one to giveaway to a lucky reader! Enter below…
PIN 90 DAYS OF SUMMER: CELEBRATE OUTDOOR PLAY FOR CHILDREN WITH GERMOLENE
**90 Days of Summer: Celebrate Outdoor Play for Children with Germolene is a collaborative post