Baby Led Spreads: Delicious & 100% Natural Weaning Spreads
When Charlie started weaning at 6 months, I decided to be brave & give Baby Led Weaning a go. The verdict? One of the best parenting decisions I’ve made so far. I only wish I had done it with Sophie! Baby Led Weaning is the process of introducing your baby to solid foods & letting them feed themselves. This is instead of being spoon-fed purees. It has meant that, at just 6 months old, Charlie is able to join in with the same meals that we eat as a family. It has been lots of fun watching him try a huge variety of suitable foods! He has also loved every minute of it & so far hasn’t refused anything I have given him.
The one thing I would say has been quite tricky is creating meals that are low in salt & sugar. I love to season my food & have to remember not to do this if Charlie is going to be eating it. I’m also not the most creative of cooks & after a while, my bank of ideas starts to deplete … Therefore I was delighted to be able to give these new Baby Led Spreads a go!
Baby Led Spreads
These delicious weaning spreads are designed to help your little one experience new flavours, ingredients & textures. The spreads are made of 100% natural ingredients & contain no artificial preservatives or salt. There are both dairy & non-dairy versions & six delicious flavours to choose from:
- Green Pea, Rocket & Dill – bursting with fresh garden flavours, this recipe is a great sandwich filling. It makes the perfect addition to a summer picnic.
- Avocado, Red Pepper & Tomato – this all-around favourite combination of creamy avocado, soft cheese and flavoursome red pepper is the perfect spread to mix with pasta.
- Carrot, Apple & Hummus – a soft, tasty hummus flavoured with carrot & red apple. Ideal for spreading on an oatcake for a snack.
- Ricotta & Bean – this herby recipe is high in protein & includes potentially new & interesting flavours. Spoon it onto a plate for dipping a breadstick or plain biscuits.
- Spicy Pumpkin & Chickpea – with a hint of spice, this spread is for those who like to join in with curry nights! Perfect as a spicy spread on oatcakes. Also as a curry base.
- Red Lentil & Sweet Potato – wholesome & filling, this comforting recipe is a great source of fibre & is full of flavour. Ideal when spooned out as a dip. Also as a pizza base.
How To Use Them
The Baby Led Spreads are designed to be used alongside food that your little ones are already eating as part of the weaning process. There are a number of different ways in which they can be used & some of our favourite ways include using them as dips for vegetables & breadsticks, spreading onto pieces of toast, fillings for jacket potatoes or as a rich pasta sauce. They can be served warm or cold & will last up to 48 hours in the fridge once opened. Each jar contains 1-2 sandwich fillings for a hungry baby & the sealed jars can be taken out as part of a packed lunch.
Although I do slightly regret solely spoon feeding purees to Sophie when she was weaning, she is actually a very good eater now & is extremely proficient with cutlery. Getting her to try a new food can take a bit of persuasion, but generally, she likes most things. What I love about these Baby Led Spreads is that they’re not just for young babies on their weaning journey. These spreads are actually ideal for older children too. Sophie loves them & she regularly eats them as pizza toppings or in a risotto. They’re a great ingredient to keep in your cupboard to help you cook up a quick meal &, in my opinion, make dinner time a bit more exciting.
Cost is always a big decider in whether I continue to buy something & in this case, I was impressed! A selection of 9 jars (three different flavours) costs just £6.50 (72p each) or a selection of 18 jars (6 different flavours) costs just £12 (67p each). Postage and packaging are free too!
Also, for every sale made on the Baby Led Spreads site, money is donated directly to Bliss; a charity dedicated to helping babies born premature or sick. For every 9 jars sold, they donate 30p to Bliss and for every 18 jars, they donate 60p. What an incredible thing to do & something I am more than happy to support.
I’m SO pleased with these Baby Led Spreads – they have certainly made my children’s meals more exciting & flavoursome. I also love that ALL of the varieties are vegetarian – both of the children are vegetarian & this can leave us with limited options, especially the ready-made food found in supermarkets. The Baby Led Spreads website has some amazing recipes to try & I can’t wait to give them a go & become more adventurous in the kitchen!
PIN BABY LED SPREADS:
**We received a selection of Baby Led Spreads to review & all thoughts & opinions are our own.