Fresh Cherry Pie Recipe #LoveFreshCherries
FINALLY! Summer is here! And one thing we love doing as a family is growing, picking & tasting a range of Summer produce. We currently have fresh tomatoes on the vine, juicy strawberries & leafy carrots! It’s also British cherry season – June through to September is the perfect time to enjoy this delicious fruit! Cherries don’t just have an amazing taste – they are packed with vitamin C (100g provides 25% of the RDA of vitamin C), are a rich source of melatonin (which helps promote healthy sleep patterns) & they have an abundance of antioxidants. Plus, they are so convenient to eat, they can be enjoyed anywhere, at any time of day.
For the #LoveFreshCherries Challenge, sponsored by Love Fresh Cherries, we are celebrating this tasty & convenient fruit by showing one of the ways in which my family enjoy cherries. One of our FAVOURITE cherry recipes has got to be the classic…
Fresh Cherry Pie Recipe
This scrumptious pie is loaded with sweet cherries. We used Mercant cherries, but you can get your hands on a number of different varieties of cherries that ripen at different times. ‘Mercant’ cherries are available now & can be distinguished by their dark red skin & large size, followed by others including the exclusive English variety ‘Penny’, ‘Kordia’ & ‘Sweetheart’ cherries, which ripen towards the end of the season.
- 500g Ready Made Shortcrust Pastry
- 480g Cherries (we used Mercant cherries) – for stoning the cherries, this is the perfect gadget to do it with.
- 60g Ground Almonds
- 3.5tbsp White Caster Sugar
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fan 180°C) & place a baking tray in the oven to heat up.
- Roll out 375g of the pastry & use it to line a pie dish. Trim excess pastry with a knife.
- Mix together the cherries, ground almonds & 3 tbsp of the caster sugar. Tip mixture into the pastry-lined pie dish.
- Roll out the remaining pastry & cut into long strips. Place the strips over the filling to create a pattern of your choice. Press down the edges to seal. Trim off excess pastry.
- Brush the pastry pattern with a beaten egg glaze & sprinkle over remaining sugar.
- Place the pie onto the pre-warmed baking sheet & bake for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 190C & continue baking for 40-50 minutes until the crust is golden brown & juices are bubbling. Loosely cover the edges of the pie with foil if it starts browning too much.
- Allow pie to cool before serving so that the filling can set.
My family LOVE this fresh cherry pie recipe & we regularly take it with us on a Summer picnic. You could even enjoy it sitting under the shade of Britain’s biggest cherry tree – a whopping 45 feet tall! The pie can also be teamed up with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
PIN THIS FRESH CHERRY PIE RECIPE:
**This post is an entry for the BritMums #lovefreshcherries Challenge, sponsored by Love Fresh Cherries